Sunday, May 12, 2013

Prep Prep and More Prep

The weather yesterday was anything but conducive to gardening.  It was fairly depressing, actually.  I had wanted to spend the whole day outside in the garden, but it was too chilly, snowing and hailing and cold blowing wind, so I stayed in and did a couple projects, instead.

Making the most of seed potatoes, important when you've only bought two pounds.

Starting winter squash, to see if I can't improve my yield in our cool summers.

Another birdhouse for the back fence, realizing another use for the Lucky Penny.
I also managed to clear out the broken windows from my cold frames and plant my early cabbages in them, topping them with ultra-inexpensive old storm windows I picked up for a couple dollars at the local ReStore shop, and unpacked my new fig trees from their giant shipping box.  I am so excited to try growing them!  I chose two different varieties:  Violette de Bordeaux (a lovely dark purple skin with crimson flesh) and Latarula (a pale green skinned variety with honey-gold flesh).  Both are recommended for cooler climates, and hopefully will produce many many figs (eventually).

There is so much to do, but unless the weather starts behaving like spring rather than winter, it can't get done.  It isn't easy being patient when all I want to do is get out in the garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!