Sunday, November 3, 2013

Keeping Warm






The weather certainly feels like November has arrived, with winter hard on its heels.  For the past several nights, I've been enjoying a warm fire--just enough to take the chill off the house during the evening, and keep it warmish throughout the night.  Burning wood makes the house warmer in a way that my decrepit propane furnace cannot.  Instead of pockets and swirls of warmth, the whole house becomes warm: the floors, the walls, the furnishings.  They all seem to absorb the gentle heat from the wood stove, and reflect it back into the room.

It's really rather blissful.

So now I am on a mission to acquire more wood.  Friends of mine have a small supply of cut & ready wood, and I am so happy to purchase a pick-up load from them to add to my remaining two stacks.  After that, well, I suppose I will scrounge up some dough and buy a cord from my usual wood guy.  He has lovely oak for sale, but it comes at a premium price.  Oh, it is worth it, really!  But like any heating source, it comes at a cost.  With the Farmer's Almanac predicting a bitterly cold and snowy winter, laying in a good supply of firewood is becoming a high priority.

It kind of makes me wish I had a grove of trees on my Farmlette, so I could harvest my own woodlot!

1 comment:

  1. Well, if I was nearby you, I'd share my wood. We have wood, but our stove needs replaced now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!