Thursday, June 7, 2012

Fiddle Dee Dee

I feel like Scarlet O'Hara, where tomorrow really is another day. This one is turning out to be lightyears away from yesterday's rough go of it. Not only did I get up on time, but I had two whole cups of coffee before I left the house. I caught all the roosters and crated them easily, and then stuck them in the back of Lucille Laverne and made chicken deliveries.

One Jersey Black rooster went to my friends Khaiti & Andrew of LTD Farm (check them out at www.ltdfarm.com), who needed a replacement for their aged rooster. Hopefully he won't turn out to be a hen-masher and will serve their flock of Barred Rock beauties well. Then it was off to my friend Raine's place, to drop of two more Jersey Blacks and one Amber Link.

Now, the Amber Link is a bit of a mystery. Amber Link chickens are a sex-linked breed, combining the Delaware with a Rhode Island Red. As such, any with the pale coloring are supposed to all be pullets. But my little "man" chicken is colored like a pullet (very pale cream with tiny touches of brown on the wings and back), and a definite juvenille crowing going on in the morning. Genetics is just a force unto itself, know what I mean?  He may be a hermaphrodite.  He may be sterile.  But one thing is for sure, he acts like a rooster and as I like my neighbors, off he goes to a new farm.  I think he (and the other boys too) will all have a grand time teasing the cats, chasing the goats, and bonding with my personal hero, Bob the sheep.

Anyway, the boys made the 60 mile-per-hour, hour long drive north with hardly a scratch. A couple of feathers flew out and caught my attention as I was tooling along, but nobody arrived at their final destination completely naked.

Huh. This reminds me of something...oh yeah! Here it is, Sam the Eagle and his Discourse on Nudity:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!