Saturday, January 25, 2014

Battening Down the Hatches


Another bitter cold snap is predicted starting tomorrow, with rumored coldest temperatures yet.  I'm spending today baking bread, making sure all the animals have extra feed and bedding, and bringing in as much wood as possible so I don't need to make so many trips outside to the wood pile.  The wood pile is getting shorter, so I think I'm going to need to round up some more of that sooner than later (again).

I don't mind winter, really.  It's nice to be inside, making plans, and having a little break from the physical labors of tending the Farmlette.  But this winter...well, I am not such a huge fan of chronic subzero temperatures with incredible wind chill factors.  Going outside with a jug of warm water at -45 degrees is no fun.  Plus, it is seriously depressing to watch the water start to freeze as soon as it makes contact with the water dish.  Nothing like Mother Nature to give us an exercise in humility!

In any case, its going to be a nice, putter-around kind of weekend.  If nothing else, I'll have lots of toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!