Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Taking Root


My rosemary plant that I brought inside last fall is growing like mad.  I can't believe how happy it is--it's the first rosemary plant that I've brought in that hasn't croaked midwinter on me.  I should probably knock on wood, but first, I'm starting some cuttings for additional plants.

Starting woody plants from cuttings is incredibly simple:  First, find a spot of new growth that looks healthy.  Second, trim it off cleanly with a pair of sharp scissors.  Third, peel off any leaves, leaving a bare stem at least one inch long.
Then all that is left to do is plonk your cutting into some damp potting mix so that the stem is at least a half-inch down in the soil.  Keep it very well watered, and in a few weeks, little roots will appear.  Once you have a hearty amount of roots, take each little cutting and place it in its own pot so it can continue to grow. 
Before you know it, you'll have plenty of little rosemary plants to share with all your friends.  They make great swap items, too!


1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!