Monday, March 3, 2014

A Favorite Nursery

from St.Lawrence Nurseries web page...gorgeous!
I am a huge fan of St. Lawrence Nurseries in Potsdam, New York.  For the past several years, I've ordered trees and shrubs from them to add to my small backyard orchard.  Each order arrives in good condition, wrapped and carefully packed, full of happy bare root trees that are ready to be dug into their new homes.  All of their trees are for colder climates like mine, so if you live in USDA Zone 4 or colder, you might want to check them out.  I've had success with pretty much everything, aside from when I forgot to water or the dog peed on it perpetually.  Note: apricot trees do NOT like excessive amounts of dog pee.

I'm hoping to get my first harvests of apples and plums this year--if all goes well and we don't get late frosts again.  I can't wait to try my first Duchess apple, an heirloom variety originally from Russia.   And the Northern Blue plum should make a showing this year, I hope.  Oh how I love a blue plum!

There's still time to contact them and request a catalog (they don't have a web-based one this year), but the deadline is coming up in April so you'd better get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!