Monday, March 31, 2014

Good Combination

humble fromage...www.graphicsfairy.com
Ahh, cheese.  Who doesn't like cheese?  Well, I suppose if you are lactose-intolerant, cheese is not your friend, but otherwise, cheese!  Cheese, the staple food of life!  Ah, cheese, how I love thee.

Cheese is also very helpful if you have a surplus of eggs.  Boy, do I have a lot of eggs.  The Ladies are cranking them out left and right, which is a lovely thing to have too much of.  Luckily, I also have a stash of good cheese on hand (I do live in Wisconsin, after all).  Both of these surfeits means, it is quiche making time!

Quiche is a great combination of omelet and pie.  Who doesn't love pie? Right?  It is ridiculously simple to make quiche:  Just par-bake a pie crust in a pie plate for 10 minutes (you can even use one of those pre-made ones, it comes out just fine), and then fill with a combination of whipped eggs, half-and-half, and your favorite ingredients.  My latest quiche creation was made up of cheddar cheese, bacon, minced garlic, minced shallot, and a dash of salt and pepper.  I've made Greek-style quiches, with feta cheese, sundried tomatoes, olives and oregano.  I've made hearty sausage and mushroom quiches.  You name it, you can put it in a quiche.

Of course, you could also make a frittata with your eggs and cheese.  I've done that too...but then, it doesn't have the ambiance of PIE.  Oh, me oh my, I do love pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!