Sunday, June 22, 2014

Midsummer in the Garden

What better way to celebrate the arrival of the summer solstice than to see where the garden is at, at this moment, before the heat and long sunny days cause it to grow, Grow, GROW like mad.  We'll start our tour in the back garden, which has been receiving the bulk of my attention.  It needed a rehab in the worst way, and I think it is looking pretty good at the moment.
Tah dah!  Not bad, right?  I built six 4x4 raised beds, and in the middle, I found the perfect place for my antique dry sink-turned-planter and leaky galvanized water trough.  Here's what's in each bed:
Sheepnose pimento peppers and Couve Tronchuda kale

Painted Mountain (flour) corn

Orange Bell peppers, with dwarf french beans and spinach...obviously, just planted.

Yellow onions, Champion of England peas, Nevada and Buttercrunch lettuces.

Green cabbage and lots of beets, which were just resown.

Leeks and shallots.
As for my two vintage tubs, they are filled with:
San Juan tomatillos--viva salsa verde!

Buttercrunch lettuce with edible flowers, viola and nasturtium.
The tour continues in tomorrow's post, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!