Sunday, June 29, 2014

Planning Ahead

Last year, this was the potato bed.  It grew a fair crop of German Butterball potatoes, but it grew an even better crop of weeds.  So this year, instead of digging it over and worrying about weeds going nuts, I plonked some compost on it and covered it with black plastic.  This summer, it will bake away and by next year, the weeds should be (if not entirely gone) cooked into submission.

It's a theory, anyway.  Next spring will reveal if I was successful or not.  I just love gardening experiments, even low tech ones like this.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, weeds are a battle for me too this year. I hope it works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!