Friday, June 27, 2014

The Water Butt


In the back garden, in an effort to conserve water, I've decided to try using a water butt.

Get your minds out of the gutter, people.

A water butt is, in essence, a container to store water that you won't use for drinking but that will be helpful for watering the garden.  You could consider a rain barrel a water butt, but this one is filled periodically by the hose.  To make it, I rounded up a 40 gallon garbage can with a lid in the lightest colors I could find.  The lid will help keep the mosquitoes from falling in and breeding, and the light color will help the water from getting too hot during the summer days.  Forty gallons of water is pretty impressive, and lasts a long time before needing to be refilled.

I also store the watering can in it, which is great because I can't lose it that way:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!