Monday, June 22, 2015

Trying Out from Pinterest

Ah, Pinterest.  Such a source of inspiration, but do those pinned recipes really work?

I decided to give this peasant bread recipe a try.  It's billed as "the best no-knead bread you'll ever try", so how could I not give it a go?  It's certainly easy to mix together, involving water, sugar, yeast, flour, and salt.  Basically, you proof the yeast, add it to the flour mixture, and leave it to rise for about an hour.  Then, you poke it down, split it in half, and turn it out into heavily buttered pyrex dishes.  Leave it to rise for 20-30 minutes, and then bake.  It's got a nice golden crust, and smells like butter.

I just love things that smell like butter.
Even the bottom crust is golden and crisp (and buttery).

I don't know as its the "best" bread I've ever had, but it certainly is easy to make.  And, unlike some ideas you can find on Pinterest, this particular recipe works very very well.  If you love fresh baked bread, this is definitely a recipe to try as it gives you that glorious fresh tasting loaf in a flash (under three hours start to finish!) and it is so simple to pull together.

I used my favorite Great River Organic Milling all-purpose whole wheat flour, but I think you could experiment with a variety of flours and have a loaf turn out pleasingly.  The author of the linked page has a few suggestions, including a gluten free option if that is a concern, and they all sound pretty good.  I will definitely be giving this bread recipe another try in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!