Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pantry Gold: Crystalized Ginger


I generally have a tremendous stash of crystalized ginger in my pantry stores.  It keeps forever and a day, and it can be used for so many wonderful things.
  • Ginger Tea:  I simmer about a half-cup of crystalized ginger in a quart of water, for at least twenty minutes.  This is then strained and can be served hot with a touch of honey (if you want it very sweet).  I tend to store the tea in a jar in the fridge, and then half-fill a tea cup with it and top with hot water.  It keeps for about a week in the fridge, if it lasts that long.
  • Adding to baking:  I particularly love to add finely chopped crystalized ginger to molasses cookies, gingersnaps, and spice cookies.  It is also delightful in a classic Hermit bar, such as this recipe.
  • Savory soups and curries:  Finely sliced crystalized ginger adds a lovely pop of sweet-hot flavor to soups (like Carrot-Fennel or Pumpkin soups), and it is really nice in a curry, such as Butternut Squash Curry.  There's just something about the sliver of sweet spicy ginger, squash, and coconut milk that makes for a fabulous dinner...I think I know what I might make tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! My supply is running low. And those hermit bars were great - ty for recipe link.

    JoyceP

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!