Monday, September 15, 2014

Leeky Success!

My summer of leek experimentation was a success!  I grew eight leeks to varying sizes (half were at least three inches in diameter) and without infestation by any allium predators.  I decided to harvest them this past weekend, simply because they weren't likely to get any bigger before the heavier frosts hit.

As I didn't really have time or inclination to make soup over the weekend, I decided to prep them for storage.  I simply sliced them into rounds, popped them into a big bowl with clean water, and spent a few moments popping rings out and swishing.  I let them settle for about 20 minutes, and was rewarded with a pile of silt at the bottom of the bowl.  Then it was simply a matter of spreading the leeks out on a wax paper-covered cookie sheet and leaving them to freeze overnight.  The next day I separated them into roughly one cup portions into freezer bags, gave them a label, and put them back into the deep freeze.  Now I have them waiting for when I want to make a delicious potato-and-leek soup, or maybe even Cock-a-Leekie soup.  Delicious!  I plan to grow more leeks next summer, hopefully to even greater success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!