Friday, May 23, 2014

Summer's Start


It's nearly Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start to the summer season.  I'll be spending it as I usually do: in the garden, digging and planting and mulching.  Don't worry, I'll take a break for a beer and something off the grill once in a while.

In honor of the fast approach of summer holidays, with days and days on end with nothing to do but tend my little Farmlette, I thought I would post the annual Summer To-Do List.  It's always fun to check back in the fall and see what go accomplished!

Summer 2014 To-Do List
1. Finish digging out all the garden beds.
2. Redo the front garden, and rescue any viable plants from the weeds.
3.  Trim and tie up all the rambling roses.
4. Finish planting the Perennial Veg Corner in the back garden.
5.  Plant the blackberries and train them on wires.
6. Start training the new apple tree to wires so it will be espalier.
7.  Clean out the Bunny Barn.
8.  Clear out the Car Hut and purge--so much stuff in there!
9. Figure out goat housing.
10. Create and plant backyard herb bed.
11. Get in at least three cords of wood before October.
12. Create space for a summer kitchen on the porch.
13. Revamp and reclaim the herb bed.
14. Figure out what strawberries need replanting.
15. Don't forget to spray apples in late June!

There's always a few things that need doing over the summer (raising meat chickens, tweaking the garden, succession planting, and the like), but in terms of major projects, I think a list of 15 items is good.  After all, I spent all last summer sitting with my leg in a cast, so  I don't want to overdo it.  I'm hoping for plenty of time to sit and relax with a good book and a glass of cool lemonade on the deck.  Now, doesn't that sound nice??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!