Wednesday, October 9, 2013

From Garden to Plate


Last night, I quartered the latest few pounds of ripening tomatoes.  Every few days, I get a pound or so of ripe fruits and have to decide what to do with them.  Some have been processed and canned.  Some found their way into a hit salsa.  This batch, after a stint all day in the crockpot, became homemade spaghetti sauce.

It's a super easy recipe.  I prefer a smooth sauce, so I briefly boil the tomatoes with a little water in a pot, and then run them through my food mill into the crockpot.  Then I turn it on low, crack the lid slightly, and leave it to reduce all day.  Once it is thick, I season it with dried Italian Herb blend, garlic powder, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.  Ladled onto hot noodles, it's a simple feast as close to the garden as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!