Monday, March 4, 2013

Finding Our Place

I watched a new documentary released this past weekend, A Place at the Table, which discussed the impact of hunger in America.  It was eye-opening and very discouraging.  Here we are, in the Land of Plenty, and millions of people don't have enough to eat.  Or if they do have stuff to eat, it is absolute junk as that is all that the teeny amount of money provided through "the program formerly known as food stamps" will allow.  Food deserts, hungry kids, working parents who can't afford groceries, communities reeling from illness and poverty.


This makes me even more determined to develop a solid partnership between the Food Pantry and the Community Garden.  Food donations are wonderful, and so generous, but so much of what is donated is boxed, processed starches.  A steady influx of fresh vegetables late spring through late fall will be such a gift for our families who need assistance.

Watching this movie, I wish I could do more.  But, as I keep reminding myself, I can't fix the world.  I can only try to "fix" a problem in my community.  It may be a small step, but at least it is in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!