Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wear Your Green


It's the day we all pretend that we are Irish and can drink like fishes.  Wahoo!

Just kidding.   I don't drink like a fish.

I do like to pretend that I am more Irish than I am in reality, however.  On this day, the French-Canadian dilution does not count and my Irish roots show beautifully.  It is a good thing, then, that I have a little collection of Irish- or Irish-inspired recipes to work from.

This year, I am making a brave attempt at a River Cottage recipe:  Apple-Cheddar Guinness Soda Bread.  Doesn't it sound delicious?  It looked good when Hugh made it on TV, and the reviews online of the recipe were overwhelmingly positive, so I have high hopes that it will perform as expected.  It seemed such a nice, savory twist on the traditional raisin-currant sweet variety that I simply have to try it.

Besides, any excuse to bring home a pack of Guinness Extra Stout works in my book.  Beer that has hints of coffee in it?  Oh, yes please!

Hugh's Apple, Guinness and Cheese Soda Bread

You'll need: 1 cup white bread flour; 3/4 cup whole wheat or spelt flour; 1/3 cup old fashioned oatmeal; 1 tsp. salt; 2  teaspoons baking soda; 1 large dessert apple, roughly chopped (I like Granny Smith); 1 cup grated good cheese (a sharp white cheddar works, and I cut it into tiny chunks for more texture); 2 Tbsp. sunflower or rapeseed oil (I had neither, used olive oil and it was fine); Guinness beer-about two slurps short of one bottle.

Combine the flours, oats, salt and baking soda, stir well to combine and add in the apple and cheese.  Mix again to distribute all ingredients, and make a well in the middle.  This is also a good time to preheat your oven to 450 degrees, and get a baking sheet ready to go by lining it with parchment paper.

Pour in the oil and Guinness into the well in your dry ingredients.  Using your hand, gently fold the ingredients together until it just comes together and forms a dough.  Don't over mix or handle the dough too much, or it will be tough.  You want it to lightly come together and be happy just combined.

Put some flour onto your work space and tip the dough out onto it.  Gently shape the dough into a rough round-shaped loaf.   You're basically just patting it into shape, not kneading it.  Move your loaf onto the prepared baking sheet and slide it into the oven.  You can sprinkle some extra cheese on top, if you like.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Your loaf should rise up nicely as it bakes, too.

I think this might be a perfect accompaniment to an Irish stew, don't you?  Or a good roast, cooked slowly with a bottle of Guinness and some sliced onion, and a side of classic Colcannon (otherwise known as mashed potato with cabbage). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!