Sunday, March 3, 2013

I Been Learned.

Yesterday was the Third Annual Traditional & Green Skills Day, held annually at the local high school.  It's a day-long event celebrating all things country skill:  bee keeping, solar energy, raise your own goat, save those seeds!  The past couple of years I have taught classes, but this year, I was a carefree student.  It was glorious.  I took a morning of seed saving classes, and have plans to go for some more studies this summer.  After a delicious lunch, it was on to backyard mushroom culture and vermicomposting.

I now need to order some spawn and round up some cut trees, so I can have a little mushroom growth in the shady spots of the yard.  And, I finally have that worm bin I've been meaning to make for months now.  It was a super deal, following a really fun class taught by my friend Jake who is starting a red wiggler sales business.  I now have a tub filled with wet smushy cardboard, some food scraps from my fridge, and a pound of happily squirming red worms digging in to their new home.  They are residing in the bathroom next to the washing machine.

The cats aren't really sure what is happening, but seem to like jumping on top to make the second short leap to their food.

It was a really nice day, not just for the classes but also for seeing some old friends and meeting new ones.  I'm really excited about the reaction to the Seed Bank project I am organizing.  Borne out of my becoming the keeper of the spare seeds by default, following the annual Seed Swap, I am hoping that the donated seeds from Herman's Garden (Seed Savers Exchange) will have a good growing season out in area gardens and then come back, to build our stash of seeds.  Currently, some seem to have "grown legs" and are missing in action, but I will hopefully be able to track them down.  It helps to know who to call at the end of the summer, so I can maybe get some seeds back.

Anyway, it was a really good day.  I am looking forward to a lazy Sunday at home, to digest all that learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!