Friday, March 8, 2013

Homegrown Meals





I find it soul-satisfying to whip up a good dinner on things that I grew last summer, when it is snowing and blowing outside.  It may be weeks yet before my garden will be producing anything fresh, but because I planned ahead and stocked up when I had more than I needed on hand I can make a delicious meal that tastes garden fresh.

Now, I call that joyful.  Wouldn't you?

Take this for example:  a simple ratatouille made up in my old cast iron dutch oven.  From the pantry, I pulled canned tomatoes and green beans.  Then came an onion and the last of the garlic from the "root cellar" in my bedroom closet.  A rummage through the freezer unearthed peas, shredded zuchinni, and kale--all ready to be popped into the pot, brought to a low boil, and heated until slightly thick.  A bit of olive oil, a slosh of aged balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and it was ready.  I served it over some steamed whole grain rice, and finished it off with just a few shreds of asiago cheese.

Simple, delicious, hot and savory.  Exactly what a chilly late winter evening called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!