Saturday, March 16, 2013

Power of the H!

This past week, I fell into a time warp and was blasted back to my childhood years.

Or so it felt.

In the early evening, I found myself sitting in a former one-room school house watching a crowd of excited children who were rolling around like puppies on Smarties.  It was the monthly meeting of the Peppy Pals 4H Club and they were happy to be there.  After a brief business meeting (I was amazed that I still remembered the 4H pledge) and a handful of demonstrations, the most notable of which involved a pair of girls dressing each other in a horse harness complete with reins, I was on.

To help spread the word about the Community Garden and get a little help starting some plants, I taught the kids how to make a recycled newspaper plant pot and to plant seeds.  They were most impressed with all the toilet paper rolls we had collected, and the news that compost was formerly poop had them giggling like manic bunnies.  Once unleashed, it was a sea of 4Hers swarming the project table. 



They made some really interesting looking seed pots, and I think they got most of the seeds in the right spots.

Nah, I jest.  They did a great!  I am very proud of them, and with any luck the pepper and tomato seeds will sprout and grow strong.  Eventually, maybe they will produce some lovely veg to feed some families in our community.  That's 4H for you:  Unstoppable!

2 comments:

  1. Hm... I can remember Head, Heart, Hands... Health? Off to teh googlemachine!
    JoyceP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good guess, JoyceP! The pledge is:

    I pledge my head to clearer thinking
    My heart to greater loyalty
    My hands to larger service
    And my health to better living,
    For my club, my community, my country and my world.
    :-) There's hand gestures too that are supposed to go along with it. (At least, that's what we did in my Club.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! All comments will be reviewed before posting. So, comment away--I look forward to reading your thoughts!